Monday, June 06, 2005

"Cuz She's So High..."

Today I went out to Brentwood with my mom and my aunt to buy a few boxes of apricots straight from the growers. That's a part of California I usually don't think too much about unless I'm reading Steinbeck - the agricultural community. It actually really fascinates me in a way. In a way, they're dying out. It kind of disgusts me to see new, identical houses strangling the fields and orchards. The farmers are just trying to keep their way of life, while people who don't care move out there for the cheap housing.

Anyway, it was still an awesome experience. My mom makes a pilgrimage out there every spring to buy apricots, which she cans and makes jam out of. She took me with her last year, so this was my second trip. The apricots are Royal Blenheims (I think that's how you spell it...), which my mom really likes because they're sweet and tangy. Yay for that. We also got some honeysticks, which are always fun. Honeysticks remind me of Pike Place Market in Seattle, because we used to buy them there when I was little and we were on vacation.

Let's see...then we came back and had to go to the Cingular Wireless store, which I'm not even going to talk about because I've resolved to stop talking about my cell phone on this blog because no one who reads it could possibly care, so I'll shut up. Anyway, I'll just say it was no fun. But not too bad.

I had a chimichanga for lunch! That was exciting. It's been a while. Wow, I talk about food way too much. I'm a fat kid waiting to happen.

Anyway, not much else going on. No one else is back from college, the high school kids are in school, so I'm just hanging around the house like a loser when the rest of my family is out. That's fine, though, since that means sleep, videogames, food, and books. Hurray for that.

Here's today's fact: Abdul Kassem Ismael, Grand Vizier of Persia in the tenth century, carried his library with him wherever he went. The 117,000 volumes were carried by 400 camels which were trained to walk in alphabetical order. That's pretty awesome, I must admit. I wonder when he had the time to read them all. Anyway, cheerio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home