Thursday, September 15, 2005

Luck Be a Lady Tonight

Okay, so here's the part where you be really jealous of me. The reason being that within the last couple hours I got to see this hot Scot. Yes, in other words, I saw Ewan McGregor with my own two eyes. Here's the story.


So, we're taking an eight day break in the middle of our study abroad trip, and my parents flew out to see me (my dad has some business too, but it's really about me). They got here this morning and the next thing I knew it was the middle of the afternoon and we were moved into our hotel right on the Thames (translation: the Tower Bridge is right outside my window).

Well, Ewan McGregor is starring as Sky Masterson in "Guys and Dolls," which I've known about for months but didn't really think I'd have a chance to see. It's virtually sold out for every show, so your only chance of getting a ticket is getting in a queue (I love that) for returns at about 5:30pm or so.

So I did. No one was there that early, so we went to the pub across the street for dinner while I kept my eye on the front of the theatre (love that too). As soon as this one guy stuck around for a suspiciously long amount of time, I decided that was my cue and I jumped back in line. This is the part where it gets boring for about a half hour, so I'll just skip ahead. I ended up with a ticket in the sixth row (yes, sixth row from the stage). Unfortunately, it was on the end of the row, but I decided that I didn't need to see the back left corner of the stage anyway. Also unfortunate was that the strange guy next to me sang along under his breath to some of the songs (calling it singing is generous). But I digress (oh Katie O, I'm starting to talk like you).

For those of you who don't know, "Guys and Dolls" was the very first musical I was ever in, at the tender age of 11 at my middle school. So watching it brought back a lot of memories. I've never seen it performed. It's really weird to think that I once had the whole show memorized (yes, I was that kind of kid). That was eight years ago, though, so I must say that much of it has been lost to the sands of time (that is the best phrase). Anyway, I need to get to the point!

Oh look, he appeared again! That's the great dulce de leche scene. I almost bought a Bacardi at the bar in honor of it. But then I didn't. That was the most pointless little tangent ever. Anyway.

So, I've had a crush on Ewan McGregor since I first saw him as Obi Wan Kenobi (oh seventh grade). And I love Moulin Rouge. I was kind of in shock when he first appeared, because I was like, "I can't really be looking at Ewan McGregor! This must be a movie, duh." But then I figured it out like a second later. It was a really weird feeling though. Not a lot of celebrity sightings in my life. Not really sure I could handle it. But then I did.

Now, to answer your questions (I know you've got them), no, I didn't get his autograph. No, no picture with him either. In fact, I pretty much ran out of the theatre when it was over so that I could beat the crowd to the Underground.

Then the most interesting thing that happened was that I got asked on a date by a guy I met when I was crossing the road. Umm, yeah, wasn't too interested so I said no. But then I felt bad, so I told him I have a boyfriend. Just a white lie.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I've got. So, let's look at Ewan some more.


1 Comments:

At 9/17/2005 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That's awesome! I never imagined that he'd actually do *real* theatre.

Yikes..Was Guys and Dolls really that long ago?? I feel old..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home