Sunday, August 07, 2005

Oh look, I'm in the UK!

Well, it has been a while since I last posted! Did you miss it? Well, I'm back with a vengeance! Mwah ha ha!

Anyway, I'm in York. My sister thinks it's the most boring place in England, but I beg to differ. It's a beautiful historic city, if you ever have a chance to visit. I wouldn't say it's a "happening place," but not boring by any means.

We started in London, which is, obviously, amazing. Did a lot of the regular tourist stuff...Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, etc. Saw a lot of the same things I've seen before (this is my third time in England). But we went to the British Library, which was amazing. Never been there before. I was completely unprepared for it. I was like, "This is Captain Cook's actual journal? John Lennon wrote that song on this slip of paper? This is the original copy of Handel's "Messiah"?" Let me tell you, I was in heaven. Maybe I am meant to study history/English.

We took the train from London to York yesterday, which was good. I love train travel. And the English countryside is just gorgeous. I really want to move here someday. I've kind of always wanted to. At least for a few years. We'll see if that works out.

Anyway, York has been great so far. We're staying in dorm rooms, so I have my own room for like five days. Definitely works for my hermit-like nature. We went to a worship service at St.-Michael-le-Belfry this evening, which was amazing. It was like, "I'm singing this contemporary worship song that I know from home in a church that's 500 years old?" Definitely a mix of old and new, and I really liked it. Met a lot of nice people, too. I sat next to a woman named Annie, who is training to become a priest, and another couple who were very nice (I didn't learn their names, though). And after the service, a guy named Jack practically ran over to my friend Becca and me to meet us. Becca was very excited ("A guy came up to me? That's not usually the case!"). Anyway, he was really nice.

Alrighty, I should probably get going. I think I'm running out of internet in the next ten minutes, so I should probably go. Hopefully this post was inspiring (not sure why). Next time, I might be able to include a picture. Haven't really gotten internet on the laptop yet, but I should soon...

Anyway, I'll talk with you later! Hope everyone is having a good summer, and can't wait to see you all (actually, I can wait, but you know what I mean). Anyway, bye!

2 Comments:

At 8/07/2005 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure your post was inspiring but I got chills. The mixture of contemporary music with such an old building. Cool. I envy your whole group!
Mom Harrison (Nathan's mom)

 
At 8/08/2005 7:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am envious that you've been to England 3 times! I'm hoping for my first visit in May. You guys are so lucky! Looking forward to more posts.
(Nathan's roommate's mom)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home