Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Rose By Any Other Name

As some of you know, I will be working at a summer camp this summer, starting this weekend. Aside from the state of perpetually packing for it, and the shopping/to-do list that keeps growing longer, I have the task of thinking of a camp name. This is a delicate business, since I will be called this name all summer, and presumably in summers to come, so it has to be something that I won't hate after the first three days.

For a while, I was thinking "Cricket" would work. The concise two-syllables, the hard "K" sound (similar to Caroline). And if this name was taken, I had "Fraggle" (as in "Rock") as my backup. I mean, who would have claimed Fraggle?

Well, after visiting the camp two weekends ago, I learned that both Cricket and Fraggle were taken and had been used for the last 4-5 years. Back to the drawing board.

My third choice had been "Carabiner," but I never seriously considered it because it would be shortened to "Beaner" and I'm not such a fan of racial slurs.

My mom suggested Willow, which is actually not a bad idea, but it brings to mind the Warwick Davis movie (which my family may or may not absolutely love, okay yes, we're obsessed with it).

The worst suggestion so far has been "Conch," like the shell (thanks Dad). As in the huge one that Ralph uses in "The Lord of the Flies" to round up the troops and form a primitive civilization before Piggy and his asthma fall off the cliff and they all start worshipping a pig's head and everything falls apart. That kind of shell.



We have one of these monsters, and if you aren't familiar with the correct pronounciation it is CONK. Can you imagine being referred to as CONK? Thanks, I think I'll pass...

Anyway, any and all suggestions are welcome, although I don't expect to get any since I don't think anyone reads this blog anymore. Sorry for being so flaky, I kind of lost motivation for a few months there. And now that I seem to have it again, I'm leaving in five days, and it will definitely be neglected all summer. Oh the irony.

As for the camp name, I'm thinking I'll see if Nutmeg is available. That was actually almost a nickname of mine, a long time ago. Or just last year. Fingers crossed!!

2 Comments:

At 6/07/2006 7:17 PM, Blogger tay said...

why not keep it simple and just call yourself kerri? it's so close to caroline that it'll be easy.

 
At 6/09/2006 12:25 AM, Blogger carpe_diem said...

I think they want the names to be something from nature, or at least weird enough that no one would actually name their kid that. Although, people do give their kids weird names. I wonder if Apple is taken...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home